Sunday, February 12, 2006

Attention all blog readers: This post is going to be slightly out of the norm of what my blog description might lead you to expect. But today is a day of great saddness and yet quiet triumph for the United States of America. With great anticipation and expectation we watched the Olympic opening ceremony in Torino, Italy with our eyes and hearts fixed on the team in red, white, and blue. Today, however, a nations heart was broken. Michelle Kwan, America's sweetheart in figure skating, regretably had to withdraw from the 2006 Winter Olympics due to a horrid groin injury. I can't say that I am surprised with all of the trouble that Michelle's groin has given her as of late; however, I can say that my heart is with her. In exiting one of the greatest sporting events in a world's history, Michelle takes not only her skates back to the U.S., but a nations full respect, gratitude, and adoration with her. Michelle, if you read this, please know that you will always be our American Idol on Ice. With grace and elogance that few on earth possess, and a cache of stolen hearts in your possession, good luck Michelle, and I can't wait to see what the future holds for you.
Now the hardest part. Shifting my full-on support from Michelle Kwan to another American Skater. I enjoy Sasha Cohen and have the utmost respect for her; however, my eyes are fixed on Emily Hughes, 2002 Olympic Champion Sarah Hughes' younger sister. I don't know if she has what it takes to steal the Gold; however, she will have all eyes on her while she tries to fill her sister's incredibly large "Golden Skates." Good luck Emily and Sasha, and may God Bless Michelle Kwan.

1 comment:

Christine Bakke said...

Hey J, where've you been? Everything OK?